COVID-19 Safety Protocols in Calgary
At the Calgary Plaza Hotel, our guests and employees are our number one priority and with this in mind, we are taking the utmost care to ensure we welcome you to a safe and clean environment.
Best Western Hotels established the I Care Clean program in 2012, this program established protocols and standards of hygiene and cleanliness for all properties. In the wake of Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19), this program has been reviewed and enhanced to ensure the safety of our guests and employees and is now the “WE Care Clean” program, and ensures that every stay with us is safe, clean and comfortable.
Based upon guidance provided by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), and Health Canada, the We Care Clean program addresses everything from guest room and common area cleanliness, to streamlined processes that minimize contact between guests and associates while maintaining the customer service you expect from a Best Western-branded hotel.
The We Care Clean program addresses the following areas in our hotel:
1. Front Desk and Lobby:
- Plexi glass screens have been installed at our Front Desk. The counter and touch points are sanitized frequently.
- New protocols will minimize guest contact with personnel through a streamlined check-in and check-out process. All employees wear gloves and masks during their shifts.
- All lobby brochures, magazines and papers have been removed.
- Enhanced sanitization procedures will be in place at the front desk, in the lobby and across guest touch points throughout the hotel with disinfecting taking place regularly.
- Touchless hand sanitizing stations are available by the elevators, at the front desk, meeting room areas, and throughout the main traffic areas of the hotel.
- Distancing signage reminders are in place throughout the lobby and all elevator entrances.
- Access to guest room floors (elevators or stairwells) from the main floor of the hotel is by guest room electronic key card only.
2. Guest Room and Housekeeping:
- Enhanced and thorough cleaning protocols have been implemented in guest rooms.
- Guest rooms will not be entered for 24-72 hours after check-out, at which time the room, linens and all touch points, for example, faucets, door handles, light switches, thermostats, clocks, TV remotes, telephones and hangers will be cleaned with chemicals aimed at killing COVID-19. In addition, all high touch point items will again be sanitized by UV wands.
- We are leveraging the latest tools, cleaners and technology aimed at killing COVID-19.
- Unnecessary items have been removed from guest rooms, such as decorative pillows, bed scarves, paper notepads and pens.
- For guest and employee safety and well-being, daily housekeeping service will be by request.
3. Public Amenities:
- Our swimming pool is available for private use for registered guests only. The swimming pool is bookable by the hour and bookings may be made at the hotel front desk at time of check-in. All swim times are private and are subject to availability at time of booking. The pool area and all high touch points are thoroughly disinfected using hospital grade chemicals and UV wands after each use.
- Our fitness room is temporarily unavailable.
4. Hotel Employees and Staff Requirements:
- Hotel employees will follow strict guidelines, including temperature checks on arrival to the hotel and are utilizing Personal Protective Equipment,
- Frequent and stringent hand-washing protocols and housekeepers/laundry staff will wear both gloves and a mask.
- Employee workstations are cleaned and disinfected throughout the day and after every shift.
- Employees are required to stay home if unwell, and to communicate their potential exposure to COVID-19 with management.
5. Safety and Security:
- Upon arrival at the hotel, all guests will receive a temperature check.
- All guests are required to wear masks throughout the public areas of the hotel.
- Hotel entrances are locked nightly at 9PM through to 6AM. Access is granted by the buzzer system to/by the Front Desk staff/security staff.
6. Restaurant Policies
- All guests required to wear masks upon entering the restaurant. Once seated masks may be removed.
- All guests will receive a temperature check prior to admittance to the restaurant.
- tables and seating are reconfigured to meet the provincial policies for social distancing.
- Maximum of 6 people per table.
- All tables and seating are completely sanitized after each use.
- All restaurant staff wear PPE throughout their shifts.
The Best Western Premier Calgary Plaza Hotel & Conference Centre is the proud recipient of the AAA Best of Housekeeping Award and the AHLZ 2019 Housekeeping Award given to hotels who consistently maintain high standards of cleanliness.